Ladies and Gents – I proudly introduce you to…. CHEESY ZUCCHINI “PIZZA”
A couple of weeks ago, I was lounging at my brother’s casa playing Dr. Mario Tetris (it’s our thing…). He mentioned an awesome pizza he’d made for dinner the night before and while I was happy his taste buds were tantalized, I lamented (a little) about missing a greasy warm slice of cheesy pizza.
Similar to most situations in my life, my brother offered a solution – to make a low carb friendly version! I searched online for several different recipes and then created my own based off my findings.
I’ve made this recipe a couple times and was v pleased! It also freezes well, so I’ve found it convenient to make a “pie” or “sheet”, cut up the serving sizes, and freeze for later use. Hope you enjoy!
· 2 medium zucchini, or about 2 cups grated zucchini
· 1 large egg
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
· 1 1/2 c. shredded low fat mozzarella, divided
· 1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan
· kosher salt
· Freshly ground black pepper
· pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
· 2 tsp. Freshly Chopped Parsley or basil
Optional Add Ons:
· Marinara, for dipping
· Low fat or fat free ricotta cheese (go for the whole fat if you’re feeling frisky or have the cal allowance.. there’s really no comparison)
1. Preheat oven to 425º and line a baking sheet with parchment. Using a cheese grater or in a food processor, grate zucchini.
2. Using cheesecloth or a dish towel, wring excess moisture out of zucchini. (this is an important step for ultra deliciousness! Make sure to get as much moisture/liquid out of the zucchini as possible… squeeze baby squeeze!)
3. Transfer zucchini to a large bowl with eggs, garlic, oregano, ¾ cup shredded mozzarella, Parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Stir until completely combined. (This is the “dough” – if you want to get hands on, ditch the spoon and use your hands to combine…personally I think this works best).
4. Transfer “dough” to prepared baking sheet and pat into a crust. Bake until golden and dried out, 25 minutes.
5. Take the dough out of the oven and sprinkle with remaining ¾ cups mozzarella, crushed red pepper flakes, and parsley or basil. Also, if you are going to use ricotta cheese this would be the time to add it. Bake until cheese is melted, about 8-10 mins.
6. Slice and serve with marinara. Bon appetite!
Servings – 6
Cals per serving – 120 (does not include ricotta or marinara)
Total Fat – 7.6g
Total Carbs – 2.8g
Protein – 10.2g